Friday, May 8, 2009

A New Goal

I got a newsletter yesterday from the local YMCA. They are having a 1/2 marathon, 10K and 5K race on May 31st. The cost to do a 5K (timed!) run is $15. The run itself is about an hour and a half drive from my house & starts at (eek!) 8:15 a.m. Now, I'm not sure that I am ready for such an "event".

So, I got into the car last night & mapped out 2.5 km. That gives me 5 km round-trip. This morning, I mapped out 2.5 km in a different direction, so I don't get bored while I am running. I was surprised and excited to see that I was only about .5 km short (each way) of running 5 km at my peak last summer. Just for "fun" I also mapped out 5 km in one direction, yeah, that's not going to happen any time soon!! 10Km is a loooooong way.

I was too excited and anxious to give 5 km a try to wait for the morning run. Could I do it? Would I give up and walk for half? I strapped on my new runners, set up the ipod and set off. A nice, easy pace, to not wear myself out completely. I got to 1 km. Doing good. I made 1.5 km, not even sweating yet. Got to 2 km, wondered if I'd make it back. I walked for about .5 km next and then turned around and ran all 2.5 back.

Did you read that! I RAN 4.5 km last night. It took 56 minutes (give or take, since I walked in and out of the "starting line") but I DID it. I thought for sure I'd be sore and miserable today, but I am not even a bit. Tired, but it is also Friday & I often feel a little more worn out on Fridays.

I am pretty proud of myself right now. The question is, do I enter the race, or not? I only have 3 weeks to train and I'm not sure that's enough to get my time down to something "reasonable". I looked at last years' results. The fastest time was 22 minutes. (I think just maybe he should have entered the 10 km race, bu that's just me) The slowest time was 56 minutes, but the majority came in around 35 - 40 minutes. So, I need to trim at least 5 minutes off my time I think. Is 3 weeks enough time to do it?

Also, I'll need some childcare. My hubby is likely still at work & I can't run with 2 boys at home! So, there's a couple of obstacles to overcome. I have to decide by May 22nd, which is 1 full week before the race. Maybe that's enough time to decide if I can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment