Friday, June 5, 2009

Just Admit it

Ok I will. I am a scale-junkie. I try not to be, but I am. I live my life by the numbers some stupid piece of plastic mock me with nearly every morning. I say nearly, because I don't jump on said stupid piece of plastic everyday. I would, but sometimes my bathroom is occupied when I get up & I have strict weigh-in rules.

I used to weigh-in on Tuesdays. Then I figured out that my "lowest weight" of the week was generally Thursdays. (Except for today, where I weighed in at 153 lbs, or 1.6 lbs less than yesterday) So, I stopped officially recording my weight on Tuesdays and moved it to Thursday. Lest you think this is a new development, it is not. I've been doing that for about 8 years.

There was a time when my scale was broken or put away & I didn't bother to weigh myself every week or even every month. Scroll up if you want to be reminded of why that didn't work for me. I need that accountability & the visual reminder of progress or not.

I feel like an addict trying to justify my addiction. (I only stepped on the scale 2x this morning, honest!) I also feel like I'm anorexic trying to insist I'm not. Well, I'm not now anyways, I managed to beat that demon years ago.

Anyhow, I am not going to bother to vow to kick the habit. I know that I won't. I also know that I don't get super happy (or sad) based only on the scale. I used to. Then I started measuring inches and that often helps take the blow out of a seemingly bad week. So, I think, since I don't let the scale define my mood, I can continue my obsession with it. Here's the thing - I don't even have a "real" goal in mind anymore. The weight will either come off or it won't & I'll either get healthy or I won't.

My entire goal right now is to lose my 10% or 16 pounds which would put me at 142. That has been an unreachable goal for the last 10 years. But, as Yoda says, "there is no try", so I'll simply Do.

No comments:

Post a Comment